Sunday, July 28, 2013

Post Script

Dear Friends of Chuck,

I know a lot more about platelets today than I did yesterday.

Low platelet counts DO cause sufferers to feel faint.  Platelets are manufactured in the bone marrow; chemotherapy causes bone marrow suppression. 

I spoke to an oncology nutritionist this evening, who said there is nothing specific one can eat to raise platelets, but anything that will boost the immune system will help and she emphasized protein above all.  She urged that Chuck eat more protein, whether in the form of peanut butter or steak or Greek yogurt--as well as more calories.

We'll be working on protein consumption this week, among other things.  And grab bars in the shower.

Best to all   

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so very much, Hillary, for maintaining this blog and keeping us all well-informed on Chuck's condition and progress. Thanks, also, for the tip about bringing healthy food to his place. (What a "Duh" moment!) Every best wish for Chuck, and YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hillary, I was actually just checking out a few of your posts and had quick question. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks~

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hillary, I've been out of touch with Chuck for years and only just found this blog. What a challenge he has faced over the past year! Please give him my regards and wishes for a rapid recovery. Best, Ted

    ReplyDelete